permaculture - Re: Comfrey was Re: ZONE 1

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Comfrey was Re: ZONE 1
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:13:25 -0000

> At 07:45 PM 3/21/00 -0700, Scott Pittman wrote:
> >Just a small question - need "veritable" answer.
> >I am getting ready to plant comfrey in my garden to weed barrier. A
> >friend, who lived in New Mexico for 12 years, says that comfrey spreads in
> >her garden and takes over. Cannot disregard many years of experience,
> >although seems like everyone else has no problems, and just success with
> >comfrey. Can anyone advise?

Here in the UK we often use 'BOCKING 14' comfrey which was researched &
developed by Lawrence D
Hills, founder of the Henry Doubleday Research Association (HDRA)....

One of the many benefits of this particular variety is that it is sterile,
hence doesn't spread by
seeding. Also doesn't spread via it's roots, though if you want more of it
just dig up a clump,
divide and replant where you want it.

Some of the seed merchants, garden stores etc. sell comfrey plants or even
root sections at quite
expensive rates considering how easy it is to propogate, so if you've got it
you could sell on
plants or root cuttings as an additional yeild of your system!

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea
Essex, UK
SS0 7DS

South East Essex LETS
http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/

  • Comfrey was Re: ZONE 1, Loren Davidson, 03/21/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Comfrey was Re: ZONE 1, Graham Burnett, 03/22/2000