permaculture - Re: Cornus mas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cornus mas
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:56:40 -0500

Harald,

Harald und Margit Wedig wrote:

Greetings from the netherlands to all of you!
Can someone tell me names of sweet varieties of Cornus mas
You may already have this data from Cornucopia: Sourcebook of Edible Plants (which, if you haven't got, is a must have title for every Pcist's bookshelf and can be ordered from the Permaculture Activist) which lists 6 cultivars of Cornus Mas as follows:
Bulgarian: deep scarlet to violet, high in sugar, excellent flavor, small stone.(Available from Eppler Ltd, Po Box 16513, Seattle Wa, USA 98116, 206-932-2211)
Cream: Creamy skin, lighter flesh, Excellent quality (same source as above)
Golden Glory: Edible red fruits(from Carroll Gardens, PO Box 310, Westminster, MD 21157 USA, 301-848-5422 or Holbrook Rarm and Nursery, Rt. 2, Box 223B, Fletcher, NC, USA 28732, 704-891-7790)
Romanian: Large, spherical fruit, bright red, lighter flesh, high in sugar, delicately glavored, quality excellent, highly productive. (see Eppler above)
Russian Giant: Very large, barrel-shaped fruit, deep scarlet, flesh lighter scarlet, high in sugar, excellent flavor, small stone. (Eppler)
Yellow: Yellow skin, lighter yellow flesh, excellent quality. (Eppler)

They sound very yummy. I wish I had direct experience, but that will have to wait 'til my crop comes in. I, too, would like to hear from folks who have actually tasted any of these cultivars.

and Mahonia aquifolium.
Cornucopia lists 6 species of Mahonia (no cultivars) of which I have sampled only the longleaf oregon grape (M. nervosa), which was tasty but very sour. I have also sampled fruit from M. lomariifolia which tasted pretty much the same.
I am interested in your own experience with the fruit and not what you
have read about it;
if you ever ate normal Mahonia aquifolium berries because you read
somewhere that they are tasty, you will know what I mean:-)
I have knowlegde about some interesting species and varieties, that I
collected in eastern Germany and other east European countries.
I would love to hear from you
Harald Wedig

begin:vcard
n:Johnson;Keith
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:earthaven.org
org:The Permaculture Activist
adr:;;PO Box 1209;Black Mountain;NC;28711;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:keithdj@mindspring.com
note:magazines.com,   http://www.magazines.com/cgi-bin2/mc/MCHomePage?afd_number=3D2215
x-mozilla-cpt:;-27600