permaculture - Re: Ashes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mmiller@pcsia.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ashes
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 06:40:15 -0600

You could check with your local paper and see if they even use lead type
anymore. I would doubt it. Also think about the relative amout of paper
ash versus wood ash produced even if you used "leaded paper". The ultimate
answer, if you are still concerned, is to use non paper starters. Check
the local Boy Scout Manual for ideas. Inner bark of cottonwood, paperbark
birch and dryer lint all make good fire starters if you don't want to
collect fine twigs. Mike Miller

At 23:36 19-11-99 -0800, you wrote:
>I'd appreciate any input on this little question.
>
>I have a wood stove and have been putting the ashes on my vegetable garden. I
>understand they are quite rich in potassium. I use newspaper to start the
fire. How
>much of a contaminant is the lead (or anything else) in the newsprint?
>
>Jeffrey in central British Columbia
>
>--
>
> *******************************
>Jeffrey Newman
>
>Pet Provisions: http://petprovisions.hypermart.net/ - Top quality pet food
>delivered to your door
>
>Personal Web Site: http://www2.bcinternet.net/~newman/Jeffrey.htm Drop
in some
>time.
>
>ICQ: 9879310
>
>When you're swimmin' in the creek
> And an eel bites your cheek
> That's a moray!
> -- Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: mmiller@pcsia.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

  • Ashes, Jeffrey Newman, 11/20/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Ashes, mmiller, 11/20/1999
    • RE: Ashes, John Schinnerer, 11/22/1999
    • RE: Ashes, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/22/1999
    • Ashes, Jeffrey Newman, 11/23/1999
    • Re: Ashes, Permacltur, 11/24/1999