permaculture - Re: [Fwd: N&O article on hog farm regs (fwd)]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Russ Bulluck <lrbulluc@unity.ncsu.edu>
  • Cc: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: N&O article on hog farm regs (fwd)]
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:55:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Russ Bulluck wrote:

<snip>
> Carolina, The contract farmer doesn't own the pigs, or the building, but
> he does own the waste produced by the animals, and is responsible for it's
> disposal).
>
> Prior to the Floyd disaster, there was a two year moratorium on new hog
> farms (over a certain size), and the state was evaluating the efficacy of
> different waste handling systems (instead of lagoons).
>
> The swine manure that I used for my experiments came from a facility that
> was under evaluation. It was basically a waste-water treatment facility
> that screened out the solids, and placed the water through primary and
> secondary treatment before reusing the water to wash out the houses, and
> begin the process again.

Russ:

I am interested in possibilities for composting and recycling
livestock waste. North Carolina farmers could really make good use of this
for broad acre cropping as well for small, vegetable and fruit operations.
There have been several threads on alternative waste treatment and
recycling in the permaculture newsgroup, alt.permaculture. I am copying a
portion of a recent thread here for you. BTW, maybe you know Halford House
at NCSU, who works on alternative waste treatment systems R&D - he has an
experimental installation at a business in Chapel Hill, on Mt Carmel Rd. -
his group's website (maybe part of the Sea Grant Program at NCSU?) is:
Water Recycling
http://waterrecycling.com/
(His links section is well worth seeing).
-