permaculture - Re: Help-Hornets!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Help-Hornets!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:28:16 EDT

1. Have you had drought conditions. Often insects attack fruit and some
kinds of vegetables when moisture is scarce.

2. I'll swap you--you give us all your hornets, you take all our fire ants.

3) Sounds like a shortage of skunks.

4) And a shortage of ducks.

5) If they are ground nesters, burn out the nests. It is a bit hazardous to
do this with hanging nests, unless you have something approaching a flame
thrower. (There ARE agricultural flame throwers sold.) Always burn them at
night, and always in such a way that hornets have to pass through flame to
leave the nest. This removes their wings and they fall back into the hole
(or onto you if you are burning a hanging nest from underneath). If it is
not absolutely clear to you how to go about burning out a nest, forget it.
These suckers really pack a wallop when they sting.

I wouldn't worry about taking steps to reduce the population. Obviously it
is in excess. While the hornets are beneficial as predators of other
insects, you can have too much of a good thing. (Unless you happen to be
Mark Twain or Mae West.)

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html
---------