permaculture - Re: Sobering Stats to Contemplate

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sobering Stats to Contemplate
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 07:55:38 -0300

Although I agree in essence that one can be deluded by internet, it has
been a
most valuable tool for us in Brazil. It has helped- until now-- to keep
transgenics
out, by coordinated campaigns, it has made free contacts for networking and
courses,
and it has given us instantaneous answers to technical questions in a country
where
libraries are pratically inexistant.
Of course Brazil may be a more sophisticated third-world country than
most, but
most NGO's , even the rural ones, have access to internet and computers. Many
firms are
donating slightly-obsolete but perfectly funciontal computers to such
organizations.
I find the internet most useful in locating people and sources of
information and
making first contacts. Of course it does not replace real fieldwork and face
to face
contact, but I confess that some of my most precious and comforting friends (
"a
friendly cyber-shoulder", so to speak) were met here. An example: I met
Robina McCurdy
in the Denmark convergence in 1993 (?). We have not seen each other since,
but have
had important exchanges via Internet over the years, as she travelled to New
Zealand,
Atrica, Findhorn. Now I am fulfilling a dream of bringing her and her work
Brazilian schools, and all the arrangements are being facilitated because of
the
instant feedback available from the Internet. She will serve as a catalyst for
bringing Permaculture into the local school systems, which we will then be
able to
carry on.
So I would not dismiss Internet as a precious tool, ESPECIALLY for
third-world
workers, who otherwise would not have access to these contacts and sources of
information. We must just not confuse it with fieldwork. We should see
Internet
fulfilling basically the types of administrative functions that, for
example, a
secretary would fulfill. It is a most useful tool, and can save us a LOT of
time and a
LOT of money in travelling and interurban telephone calls.
We have a new project here of professional training for young people who
have had
no access to higher schools and thus have not found a job. ( Our Institute
presented a
broad recycling proposal, including compost, medicinl herbs, and the design
and
implementation of the grounds of a local social center). Of the thirty-some
groups who
had projects approved, some six were of training street kids to use
computers...
Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil