permaculture - Re: knowing and learning (was Sobering Stats)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thilo Pfennig <vinci@linda.alternativ.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: knowing and learning (was Sobering Stats)
  • Date: 24 Aug 1999 09:50:29 +0200

John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com> writes:

> with the tiny percentage who have internet access).

Internet Access is nonsense. I do not have access to oil-tankers but i
could get oil from everywhere. Information is spreading. Internet is
nothing but Information, so not different than books or the content of
other media in its essence.

It might be that charisma or personal character can not be revived
with any media, even not on movies. Then, only personal contact can
give you that. But if only few people have direct (24h)
internet-access, even fewer have access to him personally. Or do you
want 6 Billion people to visit him?

If you want to criticise media in general , I am on your side - I
believe the world might be better, if we do not use ANY media any
more, only words and sounds. But the reality is different. So and if
you only want to criticise the Internet I am opposing, because
Internet is the only media which allows a kind of personal, direct
contact besides of letters and telephone. And because of its multiple
possibilities.

> data. Some "facts" could be recorded, no doubt, but to me (and, I suspect,
> to our species) it is the whole experience that matters. Otherwise we are
> simply repeating the mistake of thinking that the whole is nothing more than
> the sum of its parts.

Ok, so this man is only useful for those who met him personally? So
this can not interest me, because I likely will not meet him!? What
are we talking about? Us? Him?

> It's fine to take advantage of the technology we've got while we've got it,
> but I don't favor depending on it or expecting it to do things it can't.
> It's much too fragile. The oral culture of Hawai'i maintained and
> transmitted the knowledge required for food, shelter and community systems
> (not to mention open ocean navigation, etc.) for thousands of years

There were many cultures who had that oral element. Many of those oral
cultures lost there information, because of the changes of the modern
world. If nobody who is living can give his knowledge to others, the
kownledge gets lost.

The question is: Do we want to wtach informations and knowledge beeing
lost, because personal contact is richer than written words?

DonĀ“t you see these losts?

--
Thilo Pfennig
<http://Alternativ.Net/homes/vinci/>