permaculture - Re: Pond construction ideas needed: more questions...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: EFMonaco <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed: more questions...
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:51:37 -0400

I don't know what others will say about this, but conventional wisdom says
that tree plantings will increase seepage because the roots penetrate the
dam core material. Bamboo, however, spreads a mat laterally and isn't
supposed to penetrate deep enough to break apart the core. No fruit for
the fish to eat; and I've never seen this actually done to know if it
works. If it didn't, the bamboo would be tough to get out.

>I'll take advantage of this thread to ask about planting trees near pond
banks, when
making self-feed aquaculture systems ( for fruit-eating fish). The dam
areas get very
hot in the summer, and I wonder if one can safely plant trees on them , or
would this
increase seepage?
<