permaculture - Re: Queen Anne's Lace, others -- how to plant?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rev Chuck <cdub@-REMOVE_THIS-erols.com>
  • To: garden-ecosystems@sunsite.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Queen Anne's Lace, others -- how to plant?
  • Date: 25 Aug 1999 01:16:07 -0400

Stratification? Time of year to plant?

I've seen a method for producing wildflower "cubes," where the seeds
are mixed with moist compost or other rich soil. The mud is then
pressed through a coarse wire mesh and allowed to dry. Come planting
time, just broadcast the cubes. The compost layer provides sufficient
food and protection during germination. The extra mass also helps you
throw the cubes farther.

The U.S. Forest Service had experimented some 20, 25 years ago with
artificial, biodegradable plastic "burrdocks" Each one carried seeds
and a pinch of fertilizer. The burrs' light weight and elongated
spikes gave the wind something to grab, speeding the replanting of
large barren waste areas. I didn't find out how the experiments
ended, but the idea was ingenious.

--
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.

  • Re: Queen Anne's Lace, others -- how to plant?, Rev Chuck, 08/25/1999