permaculture - Re: seabeet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
  • To: <permacultureUK@listbot.com>, <C.Messingham@psd.maff.gov.uk>, "Kitchen Gardens list" <kitchengardens@onelist.com>, <organic-l@steamradio.com>
  • Subject: Re: seabeet
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:52:28 +0100

Sea beet grows wild in this area, I have it growing on my allotment, it self
propogated in a bed
I'd heavily mulched with seaweed from the beach a couple of years ago, and
now it springs up quite
a bit on the plot, though mainly in the vicinity of the aforementioned
mulched bed- I'd also heard
from Patrick Whitefield that seabeet seed is largely non-viable as I'd been
offering it through the
Permaculture Seed Exchange- all I can say is that it produces loads of seed
which seems to
germinate quite happily on my plot (though when you consider the amount that
springs up in ratio to
the amount of seed thats actually produced on the plants, and which either
goes through the
compost, goes on the ground either as rough mulch or naturally falls, it is
actually fairly small)
Maybe you need to put alot of seed in, or maybe it's very regionally specific
(my plot is @ a mile
from the beach) or maybe it needs the conditions that are created by
spreading seaweed on the
ground?
I've also looked up propogation of seabeet on the Plants For A Future
Database, all it says is
'grow from seed' & 'prefers a light nuetral to malkaline soil. Tolerates PH
4.8-8.3'.
I will say that I did sow some seabeet in my garden using a handful of seed
I'd obtained from a
very windswept, dead looking specimen I discovered whilst cycling along the
seawall in about
February a year or 2 back, which had hardly any seed left on it, and this
germinated well- maybe
the seed needs to be weathered on the plant as some sort of scarification
process? After all in
it's natural habitat it gets a pretty tough life!
Will post this to the other lists I'm on to see if anybody else has any
information on the
viability of seabeet cos it's a great plant to have....

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea
Essex, UK