permaculture - Re: Request for information: 10 day certification Permaculture Design Course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Request for information: 10 day certification Permaculture Design Course
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 07:33:48 -0300

Hello Jude!
We also have adopted this format, with success. As was commented recently,
information doesn't really sink in unless people are somehow actively
involved, so
trying to "download information" is coutreproductive after a certain point..
The last course I gave was the most successful, in my eyes, in terms of
carry-through of the people once they got home. It was also the course with
the LEAST
number of hours in the clasroom.
I plan to continue this format ( which follows),,, We must remember that
the
information today is written down, so today a course doesn't have to pass on
so much
information as it did in the days when there were no books.We have ti help
people
INTEGRATE the information, which is different.
So I request all participants to buy and read the Introduction to
Permaculture
book, and to subscribe the Permaculture magazine before coming to the course,
which
they do ( these materials have just become available in Portuguese).
We organize our day as such:
7-8 fieldwork.
8-9 breakfast
9-11fieldwork
11-3pm. reading material, doing "homework"( designing exercises etc.)
conversing
about personal situations, talking to the people of the community ( where we
have the
course), swimming in the river.. I was pleased to see that in the course
people
actually made good use of this time, in a quite productive way. (These are
the hot
hours of the day, when work is less productive)
3 - 5 pm classroom, where I talk about subjects that can't be seen in the
field:
nutrient cycles, alternative money, education, harmony in community,
etc.As these
were virtually the only classroom hours, they were very productive, as people
came
fresh.
Ther rest of the information is transmitted in the field, where they see the
example in
front of them and then actively work with it.
5-7 free time for washing clothes, resting, taking walks, falling in love...
Evenings: talking around the fire, where doubts can be brought up in group,
personal
experiences hopes and dreams of the participants and also o f the members of
the
community-- no holds barred ( I don't want people to go away with a
too-romantic idea
of community living!), dancing singing, capoeira.
We are fortunate to have an alternative community as a venue, which is doing
all we
teach in the course, and who face incredibly hard problems like wildfire and
severe
runoff from bare areas, droughts that can last for months, problems with
financial
survival out in the sticks. But they are also a reasonably harmonious group,
raise
their chldren well, are very good adobe builders ( We spend a morning making
bricks.
In the last course they made a beautiful adobe sauna with a glass dome made
of colored
bottles which gave a beautiful cathedral effect...)
I consider that the course goes on from the moment that the people get up
until we go
to sleep. Everything we do-- whether it be help cook on a wood fire, wash
dishes as a
team, talk with each other, use a compost toilet, is part of the process
of
learning about sustainable communities, not only in a technical sense, but
also in a
social sense
( organization of work, resolution of conflicts-- which there always are when
you throw
people together in such an intense situation.)

If the people are really inspired ( which I think they always are in such a
course),
when they get home they will continue to do other courses, look for
contacts, etc,
which we certainly can help them with...

For example, one of the participants in January was an Argentine agronomy
student. I
have heard from the grapevine that he is making "big waves" in his agronomy
school,
and has already gone to do another course ( which I wish I could have done!)
in
Argentina with Albert Bates from the Farm, among other high-power people.

So we have to realize that the PC course is no longer a "once only" chance as
it might
have been in the early days, but one step in the continuum of these people's
moving
into a more satsifactory life for themselves and for their communitites...
We must remember that most of the information is now available in the books,
so the
course can be active without losing content. We must realize that counting"
course
hours" does not make much sense in a live-in situation. That is the old
belief that
learning only takes place in a classroom, which experience shows to be just
the
contrry...

Marsha
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia