permaculture - Re: Bounces

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: vinci@linda.alternativ.net
  • Subject: Re: Bounces
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:16:14 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On 3 Aug 1999, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> Date: 03 Aug 1999 21:17:28 +0200
> From: Thilo Pfennig <vinci@linda.alternativ.net>
> To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: Bounces
>
> Hi, I now regualry get bounces like this:
>
> Aug 3 21:09:30 linda sendmail[1279]: VAA01279:
> from=bounce-permaculture-93354@franklin.oit.unc.edu, size=1581,
> class=-60, pri=139581, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<LYR93354-13626-1999.08.03-14.34.17--vinci#alternativ.net@franklin.oit.unc.edu>,
> proto=UUCP, relay=uucp@localhost
>
> I would say about 20 per day. I have no idea what it means, my
> sendmail trashes these mails. And rigth now I do not get any mails
> from your list. This may relate somehwo. Maybe sendmail trashes mails
> with
> From: .*bounce.* ?

That may well be the problem, though I am not knowledgeable about
sendmail. If you're using regex to filter mail to bounce maybe that is it.
Re-check your filtering, i.e. the config using regex (regular
expressions).

> Maybe you can find out more. Maybe it is my fault?

I think so. I have checked my post processing of mail from this list
and perma-l and see nothing wrong with my procmail script. I also looked
to see how you're subscribed to this list
(permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu) and it is:
vinci@linda.alternativ.net Thilo Pfennig
- just as indicated in the forwarded headers included in this post.

Let me know if you get this message from me or from the list.
I have posted this to the list and sent you a copy directly from me via
private email.
BTW I got a bounced mail message the other day from your system indicating
that the service: linda.alternativ.net was (temporarily) unavailable.
Maybe this points to the present problem you're having.