permaculture - Re: machetes in Brazil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: machetes in Brazil
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:02:41 -0300

We do practically every thing here with machetes, from pruning trees to
cutting grass
in new agroforest systems, to direct seeding in the field. There are three
major
machete producers, with very distinct versons varying accordying to weight
of knife,
handle types, quality of steel, and width of blade. I would be glad to
enumerate them
if that could possibly be of use to anyone...
These knives are cheap, less than US$5 each.

Marsha

Lawrence F. London, Jr. escreveu:

> In the newly formed permaculture newsgroup, alt.permaculture,
> the group consensus regarding having a newsgroup for organic
> gardening (at present there isn't one _by that name_) was not
> to start one for this purpose but to use our own permaculture
> newsgroup. So, since organic gardening is part of permaculture
> we could do the same with this mailing list. To that end I would
> like to know:
>
> 2) Is anyone using traditional hand tools to do 1), i.e.
> English-type hand forged tools: digging forks and spades,
> eye hoes of any type from any country, scythes or machetes
> for cutting cover crops and hay mulch. What hand tools do you
> like best? What are recommended sources for these?

  • Re: machetes in Brazil, Marsha Hanzi, 07/23/1999