permaculture - RE: [Permaculture] "Forward" and "Back"/ Discussing Solutions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [Permaculture] "Forward" and "Back"/ Discussing Solutions
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 13:02:17 -0700

Aloha,

destroyed?

I don't recall either Eric or myself mentioning limiting ourselves to
digging sticks (although a shovel is just a digging stick with shaped metal
on one end... ;-). I don't imagine that I know how to "restore" what has
been "destroyed" at an industrial scale.

>My point is that the
>thinking, care, and trials have been done ...

Well, I simply disagree, and I'm happy to leave it at that. A couple of
decades or so of small-scale exploration and experimentation in systems that
spent hundreds and even thousands of years evolving the complexity that we
observe them to have seems woefully inadequate preparation for
industrial-scale intervention into those systems.

>...and now it is time to get off our
>timorous butts and get to work.

No question about that! I'll stick to grassroots, primarily human-scale
work and let others attempt the industrial-scale work if they feel they
must. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

John Schinnerer