permaculture - Re: raised bed organic gardening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: london@metalab.unc.edu, permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: raised bed organic gardening
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:38:08 EDT

Larry:
Why are excessively expensive English digging tools more traditional
than a fire-hardened pointed stick or a mattock hoe? I thought permaculture
was a worldwide thing, and not simply an extension of Anglo-Saxon tradition.
:-)

I have raised beds but I never manage anything only one way. I use
a two digging implements in raised beds. I move soil with a $3 shovel from a
discount place and I loosen soil and cut small roots with a flat-blade spade
that is likely older than most people on this list and the price of which I
do not recall. It is not English. I bought it when I was 17 for my
landscape gardening business. I'm now 60. Doubtless it won't hold up as
well as an expensive, mortgage-your-house-to-buy English model, but I'll limp
along with it.

Try John Jeavons. He has perfected what you are talking about.

Dan Hemenway