permaculture - Fwd: Fourth Annual Permaculture Design Course Online 8

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu, london@metalab.unc.edu, Permacltur@aol.com
  • Subject: Fwd: Fourth Annual Permaculture Design Course Online 8
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:17:31 EDT

PLEASE POST AND/OR ANNOUNCE

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 11:26:53 EDT
Fourth Annual Permaculture Design Course Online Begins in October

Elfin Permaculture's fourth Annual Permaculture Design Course Online
will begin at
the October 24, 1999. The in-depth course runs 5-6 months, depending on
class
needs. The course includes at home reading assignments, instructor's
"lectures"
distributed via email, email class discussion of current themes and student
projects, a
number of special student reports, and a permaculture design completed by
each
student. Successful completion of all course requirements leads to
certification as an entry-
level permaculturist.

The course is particularly suited to people who cannot take two or
three weeks for a
live permaculture course, people living in areas distant from such live
courses, and people
seeking a particularly in-depth training in permaculture. Advance students
may arrange to
take the course at an advanced level. The course is not suitable for people
who require a
more tactile approach to learning, unless arrangements are made to hybridize
the course
with live training programs. (Email this address for details.) Students may
satisfy the design
report requirement at the 10-day live to be held in California in August.

As in all Elfin Permaculture programs, we offer some scholarships.
However for
the online course the number of scholarships is very limited. Students are
encouraged to first
seek funding from suitable donors. Interns at our Barking Frogs Permaculture
Center in Florida
may take the course without charge during their internships.

Elfin Permaculture has arranged several alternative approaches for
people who want
exposure to the course material but cannot take the course at this time. As
in our previous
online courses, we offer monitor status at a nominal fee, so people can
follow the course
reading, receive special instructor's materials, and read class discussion as
they see fit. In
addition, Elfin Permaculture offers a complete set of reading assignments
and course notes, on disk or in print. We are aware that for some people,
downloading
email materials is not possible or is prohibitively expensive due to time
charges by their
ISP. They can now receive the class materials by mail. In addition, we will
take at one time up to two
conventional correspondence students on a one-on-one basis, , either via mail
or email.

The broad course outline is as follows:
Section 1: Introduction and Basic Principles
a) World ecological problems and interrelationships.
b) Principles of natural design.
c) Permaculture design concepts.
d) Classical landscapes.
e) Patterning, edges, edge effects.
f) The Permaculture Design Report
g) Principles of transformation (in process--you will get as
much as we
have worked out at the moment--this is not part of ordinary permaculture
design courses).
Section 2: Appropriate Technologies in Permaculture Design
a) Energy--solar, wind, hydro, biomass, etc.
b) Nutrient cycles--soil, microclimates, gardening methods,
perennials, tree
crops, food parks, composting toilets, livestock, "pest" management, food
storage, seed
saving, cultivated systems, forests, etc.
c) Water--impoundments, aquaculture, conservation, etc.
d) Buildings.
Section 3: Social permaculture. Design Report.
a) Design for catastrophe (including Y2K disruptions).
b) Urban permaculture.
c) Bioregionalism.
d) Alternative economics.
e) Village development.
f) Final design reports and critiques.
g) Final evaluation.

For more information request the course protocol and reading list from Elfin
Permaculture
at Permacltur@aol.com

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin
Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses, consulting and
permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence courses via
email.
Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
Assn. home
page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

--- End Message ---