permaculture - Cadmium in Old Tires = Cadmium in Soaker Hoses?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg@igg.com>
  • To: permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: Cadmium in Old Tires = Cadmium in Soaker Hoses?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 06:44:01 -0500

Friends,

I was reading the environmental statement on a roll of bulk soaker hose we
picked up from Wallmart the other day. They were bragging that 60 percent
of the hose was made from recycled rubber from old tires. I (vaguely)
remember a discussion here that nixed tire gardening because of the cadmium
in tire rubber. I assume the same applies to the rubber recycled in soaker
hoses.

Am I off base here?

Thanks

Allan Balliett
Claymont Farm CSA
BIODYNAMICS Now!
temp mailing address:
POB 3047
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
Voice Mail: (304) 724-6763
FAX Forwarding (815) 550-6067
csa@claymont.org

BD NOW!, the International Biodynamic Agriculture Discussion Forum,
dedicated to restoring the earth while producing healthy, high-value, food
that promotes human development.

Archives to BD Now! are located at: http://csf.colorado.edu/biodynamics/

To Subscribe to BD NOW!, the BD list server, send a msg to

listproc@envirolink.org

In the body of the message put (do not include the "<>:s!):

subscribe bdnow <Your First and Last Name>

If you have any questions, contact the list master at bdnow@igg.com

<to remove yourself from the list, send 'unsubscribe bdnow' in the body of
a message to listproc@envirolink.org >