permaculture - Dere's a waterfall at da end of dat river da Nile. (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Dere's a waterfall at da end of dat river da Nile. (fwd)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:20:39 EDT
From: Bagelhole1@aol.com
To: sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Dere's a waterfall at da end of dat river da Nile.

In a message dated 6/20/99 4:34:58 PM, ThomasH613@aol.com writes:

<< Those that live in cities, densely populated areas, where supplies run
<< out, even or a short period of time. Panic will set in >>

We are all floating down a river called da Nile, at the end is a waterfall
that no one can hear or see, we will all learn how big or small it is when
we ride it together 1/1/2000. Hopefully, it will be small, but the
possibility that it will be large is not remote enough to ignore.

"To not prepare fully (inventorying/stockpiling and self-sustainable
neighborhoods) is folly."

We need to create models, be the models for our neighborhoods, communities,
and nation:

1.Low cost greenhouses with the leading edge techniques for growing
organics, like "aeroponics" using vertical structures, nutrient fed looped
tubing. Schools would be a great place to create "community food security"
and food for the brain and body for our children. The time is ripe for
growing greenhouses.
2. Edible landscapes (your front yard)
3. Window sill gardening: lettuce, herbs, sprouts, and wheat grass
4. Vertical gardening: 1. Make a column out of chickenwire and
tarpaper or cardboard about 3 1/2 feet high, 14 inches diameter. Hold a 4
inch diameter pipe in center and fill with sand and stones (for watering),
fill the rest of the area with good soil, remove the pipe. Cut 3? inch slits
around the outside thru the wire and paper in a spiral pattern. Insert
seedlings in slits (40-60). Can be used on sidewalks, balconies, roofs. Sizes
are arbitrary. 4 or 5 should feed a family plenty of vegetables, plant about
2 weeks apart to keep a steady harvest.
`5. Fish farming in a barrel
Local gov?ts. should be asked to bring grains from the silos across America
where they often rot every year and store them in accessible places for
neighborhoods in your city.

http://bagelhole.hypermart.net/ (looking for website help)
focus: low-tech sustainable ideas/methods
____________________________

This is a humanitarian, non-commercial project that is dependent on global
collaboration to succeed (self-sustainable neighborhoods before 2000). This
could be a way to divert panic as we approach the new year, by having this
ready and available for those who suddenly see, the safety and beauty of
being self-sustainable. If you would like to help in the best way you can,
please do and respond to this e-mail. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

One Family,

Tom Osher (bagelhole1)

San Francisco

Tax id 94-3111898