permaculture - re: magic formula

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CtopherP@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: re: magic formula
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:45:11 EDT

<<I think it depends totally on how brittle or non-brittle the land is as
suggested by Alan Savory in his Holistic Resource Management literature.
Other factors include: Topography. There is a lot more surface area in a
hilly topography than in the flats. Also, latitude and rainfall, length of
growing season. With so many factors, it's difficult to say.
Gene Monaco
in Knoxville, TN>>

agree. another interesting place to start is the work of john jeavon's and
biointensive gardening/farming. for one person, eating a completely
vegetarian (and probably vegan) diet, with all of their calories and vitamins
provided for, he estimates 700 square feet is needed. this is at high yields
and is not sustainable. to make it sustainable by growing all your own
compost it goes up to something like 1200 square feet. this assumes the nice
california climate that john has in willits, and requires a considerable
amount of water. I have heard him say that "agroforestry" systems take about
twice the square footage.

of course this says little about the precise water needs, making it truly
sustainable for everyone involved (labor, etc.), bigger issues of
sustainability, etc. but is a good starting point.

jeavons places great emphasis on true sustainability in agriculuture,
particularly with regard to mineral availability in the soil.

christopher peck