permaculture - "Forward" and "back"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "Forward" and "back"
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:44:18 -0700

Aloha,

How about taking off the cultural blinders that get us stuck in living an
argument of "forward" (whatever that is) versus "back" (whatever that is)
when there are so many other paths?

Can you expand on what "forward" and "back" mean to you, and more
importantly, where you acquired those meanings?

Quite a few wise folks have pointed out that it is unlikely that more of our
"technology" (whatever that is) can save us from the messes we've made with
our technology. It's what we do with "technology," not what it "is," that
matters - and the underlying manner in which we use it does not necessarily
change with the creation of "new" technologies (it certainly hasn't
lately...).

This is a challenge permaculture faces...a big one, I think...how to avoid
becoming another bundle of technologies, methods, and techniques without
adequate attention to *how* they are being applied (underlying cultural
habits - the "culture" in permaculture?) and the consequences thereof.

John Schinnerer

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • "Forward" and "back", John Schinnerer, 06/29/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • "Forward" and "back", John Schinnerer, 06/29/1999