permaculture - Re: Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture: old and new paradigms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CtopherP@aol.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture: old and new paradigms
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:33:37 EDT

<<What I'm saying is that every time this conversation comes around it is the
same old complaint without any substantive recommendations. I would like to
see the substantive recommendations, a map (linear) of what this new
paradigm looks like. It is not productive or reasonable to say that pc
teaching should be radically different unless those who insist on it being
new paradigm/not old paradigm provide some thoughtful and reasonable
direction on how to get there - then we would have something to talk about.

I apologize in advance if I am throwing rhetorical spears but this is a very
frustrating subject when no-one, to my mind is offering solutions along with
the criticisms. My solution is "if it's not broke don't fix it", I
personally don't believe it's broke - for those of you who think it is
seriously flawed or is junkyard bound propose something!!!!
Scott Pittman

I haven't been present in earlier conversations about this, but I feel I can
understand scott's frustration. my companion email to this one provides what
we (Permaculture Drylands Institute) are offering as a positive solution to
the situation. I want to point out however that we are not coming from a
perspective that suggests that the design course is "seriously flawed",
"junkyard bound" or "broke". we do think that in the natural course of
evolving what we are doing, that by always seeking to improve the
effectiveness of our courses and teaching ability, that the way the course is
taught needs to more fully reflect the content of the course. permaculture
courses should be designed with permaculture principles. please see my other
post for more on this.

as a matter of principle however, and I speak on my own accord on this, I
think it's OK if we dance around trying to identify a problem for awhile. it
may take some time to uncover or create real solutions. it seems unreasonable
to me, and detrimental to the creative process, to insist that someone can't
complain about something unless they have a solution to it.

sincerely,
christopher peck
santa fe, new mexico USA

---