permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weeds? (Star thistle)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelley <amaranth@uninets.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weeds? (Star thistle)
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 10:43:21 -0400

No, I'm not interested in planting it. From the posts, it seems most well
adapted to
western climes, anyway. My thought on succession, however stems from one
person's
indication that this thistle is a pioneer species which, in my training
refers to a
species which sets the soil for more secondary species. These secondary
species,
however, most generally end up weeding out the pioneer species, either
through further
alteration of soils, by shading or other means. My thought was to what type
of
secondary species could be planted to weed out this thistle, providing it had
already
done its job of soil improvement.

Just a rambling thought, though, as truly the only thing that I "know" about
this plant
has come from the recent posts. We have our own thistles here which one has
to be
careful of when walking barefoot. Just the run-of-the-mill pink version,
though, which
I will probably mow once they have bloomed but before they seed, as I think
they're
quite lovely, but would prefer they not spread any more than they have. They
get to be
quite large as well and most are now past the point of hiding in the
surrounding
grasses -- they're quite obvious and easier to avoid.

There is a lot of data on non-native weeds, which is why ecologists dislike
them so
much. Commom plantain, as well as many other common weeds, is an introduced
species
from European ancestors as I understand it. Personnally, I'm quite glad that
it made
its way across the ocean as it's the best remedy I've found for the nasty
black fly
bites.

There is probably a plant or other organism which does in fact control the
star thistle
in its native lands rather well, but in past trials at bringing the
"controller" over,
we have ended up with ever more problems as the "controller" usually goes out
of
control. I would agree with you that there is probably something that would
keep its
growth in check that is somewhere near its present occupied habitat, it will
just be a
trial and error process in finding it. I would first look at what keeps it
in check in
its homeland and then explore similar families found near its present site.
Maybe its
not that simple, but then again, I think that's a very different approach to
solving
this sort of problem than we have traditionally taken, i.e. herbicide control.

Take care,
Kelley