permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Electronic Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Electronic Permaculture
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:42:28 -0700

Larry wrote:

> If you have information in hand in either hardcopy or electronic format
> you nearly have all you need to understand a subject, technology,
> hands-on, etc. and be able to make practical use of it. All you have to do
> is read, research, learn, take notes, organize info for easy retreival and
> utilize.

Although I agree that the internet has wonderful possibilities for
education and information dissemination, that "nearly" should not pass by
unnoticed. "Easily retrieved information" is not knowledge, understanding,
wisdom, education, etc. Our society is full of information, more than ever
before in human history; are we any smarter, or wiser? There is a danger
in overemphasizing information as knowledge or education. In a recent
article I read it was suggested that the use of computers as substitutes
for other forms of learning in schools may be a mistake because it down
plays the critical roles of analysis, reasoning, discrimination, etc. in
learning.

Many of the people in Pc seem to be good at learning (middle, upper middle
class people wanting intellectual work?), but we should not assume that
"All you have to do is ... learn" when given the information. I am not
suggesting that Pc people must take responsibility for making sure that our
school systems produce people that can learn on their own. I am suggesting
that any attempts to spread Pc ideas should take into consideration what
people can and will (can not and will not) do with any given form of
information. What is produced will then be a useful option, or supplement,
to courses offered (which, by the way, probably need some of this kind of
consideration, too).

Permaculture is an approach, a way of seeing, not information. Piles of
raw data and information will not help someone with Pc unless they already
have the base ideas and ethics of Pc. Permaculture is not swales, herb
spirals, chicken tractors and chinapas. It is observing nature, a way of
looking at patterns and flows of energy, looking at problems for the
solutions they contain, finding biological solutions, etc. So there would
seem to be a need for two things, information for Pc practitioners and an
introduction to Pc ideas and thinking for newcomers. And probably a
synthesis of the two . . . Okay three things, information, introduction and
a way of keeping the ideas and information in sync.

Perhaps this is also a problem with the two week intensive courses: trying
to do too much in one course. I know some teachers have, apparently
successfully, been doing the course as two separate weeks, but I don't know
the line they draw. In order to spread the ideas of Pc, is it necessary to
give more than the ethics, principles, approach and some examples? No one
person will do all of the different activities that Pc touches on. I know
the marriage of ideas and action are important, but there seems to be some
room for thought here. There could be introduction courses, perhaps more
than a weekend summary, that really get the heart of Pc across to people.
Then a wide variety of subjects could be offered as separate courses,
offering experiences with skills and going into greater depth in certain
topics like water catchment, building, silviculture, economic systems, etc.
Another type of seminar could be a time for people to share experiences,
experiments and ideas and to allow them to reassess their actions and
values in relation to Pc ethics and principles, a kind of "refresher course".

Teachers aren't getting paid enough and students can't afford them, so
let's apply Pc principles to this "problem" and create some solutions.
Perhaps e-Pc is one of the solutions, though I must admit I lean more
toward biological solutions ; )

> I would like to see an example of SGML and XML.

I'm not sure if I would, or not. It's getting a bit technical for me : o

Eric Storm