permaculture - Re: [permaculture] weeds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] weeds?
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:14:42 -0700

Stephan wrote:
> i have a weed problem. > i just hate to pull it.
> it seems so crucial to the development (and recovery)
> of the soil, to getting the nutrient cycle going.
>
> i have a high regard for 'weeds'. one of my fantasies
> is to be able to see the natural plant succession
> evolve given no pulling, spraying, or cultivating of
> these pioneer species. the problem of course is our
> limited life span. how long would it take for the
> 'native' species to re-establish? or would nature
> find peace with a mono crop of weeds?
>
> is my thinking totally miss-guided? am i still just
> too much of an idealist? does anyone have ideas on
> this?

I hear you. I have similar idealistic inclinations : ) This is why I am
attracted to Fukuoka's Natural Farming. I have been watching our property
recover from many years from disking as an unirrigated apple orchard. Each
year the proportions of different "weeds" seems to change, but of course I
can not tell from such a short prespective whether or not this is climate,
or succession, or something else. The animals are helping to plant shrubs
and trees, as well as other grass and herbacious plants. I am ready to
start introducing some of my own choices. Some that I have already tried
do well, others do not. Lots to learn. And yes, the limitations of a
single life time are frustrating. I'd like to be able, some day, to adopt
a longer view of things but there's nothing wrong with doing what I can
while I'm here - what else can I do? It would be nice if people made food
forests a few generations ago. But as it is, we'll have to be the ones, so
that people can look back and be glad someone did.

Sorry, I have no practical advise for star thistle, but you've got my moral
support for the approach you're trying. Let us know what you find out.

Eric:

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu