permaculture - Soil toxin bioremediation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirk Hanson <permawest@olywa.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Soil toxin bioremediation
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:23:48 -0700

Hello permies,
An intern e-mailed this question to me and I would like to draw upon
our
virtual community to find some answers. Please send responses to:
permawest@olywa.net

I'm wondering if you could give me some suggestions?......
Im writing a paper for my Environmental Toxicology program. I've learned
that in the past, and maybe presently too, people have used certain
pesticides, etc, that have contained Lead, Arsnic, and other such
contaminants, which stay in the soil for years. I'm thinking that there
must be some plant or fungus that you could grow there which could be
used to re-capture those toxins and make the land usable again. Do you
know anything about the use of cover crops, etc. that have been or could
be used in situations such as these. Along the same line I might talk
about these poisonings in the human system and what plants could be used
for healing the people exposed. If you have any book titles or web pages
you could direct me to I would appreciate it.

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu