permaculture - [permaculture] Re: dung beetles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: dung beetles
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 01:01:26 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net

On Fri, 14 May 1999, alteredstates wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:53:28 -0700
> From: alteredstates <alteredstates@olywa.net>
> To: permaculture@metalab.unc.edu
> Subject: dung beetles

> Hello.
> My name is Kristine. I have associates that run Wild Burro Rescue , in
> Onalaska, WA....they save wild burros from Death Valley and take them to
> their sanctuary to live out their lives. They have approx. 60 burros, that
> produce alot of dung. Is it possible to purchase dung beetles in the US and
> is there a specific species of dung beetle that would thrive on burro dung,
> as I have read that some species of them have trouble with cow dung,
> although this is strictly burros. Thanks for any help you can give.
> Kristine

I'd imagine DB's would utilize burro manure, probably right down their
alley, so to speak. Here is a little info on them from my archives at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/london/orgfarm/composting/dung-beetles
-
From: D.B.Sullivan <Buffalob@mhtc.net
Subject: A low Tech solution to solving Non-point pollution: DUNG BEETLES
and the possibility of a host of new nature-based pharmaceuticals

Letter to the editor:

A low Tech solution to solving Non-point pollution : DUNG BEETLES
and the possibility of a host of new nature-based pharmaceuticals
(One of Nature's Excellent Free Tools)

The History of using beneficial insects for mankind is a long one,
and this little creature posses a solution to one our pressing problems
of agriculture ; waste management and potential to create a host of
nature-based pharmaceuticals .

Dung beetles don't bite, spit or sting. Their procreative joy in
life is to bury fresh dung in the ground in tunnels they dig.
The tunnels can be from a few inches to a few feet deep.

What does this accomplish (from both a producer's and an ecologist's
perspective)?

Rapidly removes dung from the surface which prevents smothering or
fouling of forage. Decreases downstream non-point source pollution
from manure.
Efficiently puts fresh dung (a nitrogen source rich in organic
matter and moisture) back into the soil, recycling nutrients and
natural fertilizer.

Improves soil health which increases both plant diversity and
<plant production which in turn increase ecological resilience.
Increases soil organic matter enabling the soil to absorb and hold
more rainfall (decreases erosion and flooding and reduces effects of
drought).
Removes the breeding media (dung) of hornflies and faceflies and of
many internal parasites (those whose eggs or larvae incubate in dung).

Aerates the soil which improves habitat for soil life (e.g.
earthworms).

Direct benefits to producers include decreased labor costs,
veterinary costs and treatment costs, increased forage production and
availability, improved water quality (buried dung doesn't contaminate
streams or stock ponds), decreased erosion, and increased drought
resistance.
Medical Research Potential
"T. inflatum is commonly found in soils, but it does not make the
sexual state without very special conditions -- until it is on its
favorite host -- which seems to be the dung beetle."
"There are so many molds that we don't know the life cycle of. All
the cyclosporin in the world -- for hundreds of thousands of transplant
patients who need anti-rejection drugs -- has been made from
Tolypocladium inflatum cultures without that mold ever reaching the
sexual state," said Kathie T. Hodge, the Cornell graduate student of
systematic mycology who identified the New York fungus for what it is.
" Knowing the true family history of T. inflatum/C. subsessilis will
help target the search for other nature-based pharmaceuticals, according
to Thomas Eisner, the Cornell biologist whose Institute for Research in
Chemical Ecology (CIRCE) will send "chemical prospecting" teams into
the world's first temperate zone biodiversity preserve, less than a
mile from the woods where students found the fungal fruiting bodies. One
close relative of C. subsessilis already is known to Chinese athletes as
the performance-enhancing "caterpillar fungus." * Cornell News Service

Also the Chinese from PRC are using parts of the Dung beetle for
treating Stomach Cancer. A derivative of cyclosporin is used with AZT
to improve the drug's effectiveness. The Dung beetle may spawn the
development nature-based pharmaceuticals that may hold the promise for
a cure or treatment for AIDS or Cancer.

It has come to our attention that a unique scientist Dr. Truman
Fincher and the only dung beetle quarantine facilities in the
continental United States (located at College Station, Texas) are about
to be lost.
This would be significantly detrimental to the livestock industry and to
the ecological health of our rangelands and potential research for
host of new drug possiblities.

The United States has few dung beetle species (150) compared to
Africa (over 2000). Cattle are an "exotic" species introduced to North
America by the Spaniards. We need exotic dung beetle species that
selectively prefer cow dung. Australia also introduced the exotic
species cattle.

They have since introduced over 30 species of dung beetles (mostly
from Africa) to control their fly and dung accumulation problem.
A healthy established population of the appropriate dung beetles
species (selected for regional climate and rainfall conditions) can bury
as much as 2000 lbs of manure per acre per day.

We are fortunate in the United States to have a scientist, Dr. Truman
Fincher, who has a unique expertise and research experience in
selecting, importing through quarantine, colonizing and releasing
specific dung beetle species. Establishment of introduced species is t
he short term objective. His long term goal is to provide continuous
burial of fresh dung in pastures and rangelands throughout the USA.

We have an immediate opportunity to request that his knowledge (the
results of a many year Agricultural Research Service [ARS] project
terminated in 1987) and dung beetle quarantine facilities (at College
Station TX, the only one in the USA) be used through USDA Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) to implement the importation,
colonization and large scale release of the appropriate dung beetle
species to benefit all interested producers and to improve soil health and
diversity of pasture and rangeland. It would seem appropriate at this time
transfer Dr. Fincher from ARS to APHIS and to initiate a new APHIS
program.

Such a program could be funded for as little as $250,000 a year for
five years. The facilities are in place. The research has been done.
Implementation is all that is needed. Your support is required as soon
as possible to make this happen (the quarantine facilities will be
terminated as of Sept. 30, 1997).

If you are interested, please write, FAX or phone your Congress
persons and copy to: Mr. Terry Medley, Administrator of APHIS, USDA,
Rm. 312E Jamie Whitten Bldg., 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington D.C.
20250-3401.Phone 202-720-3668. FAX 202-720-3054.

For more information, contact us: Drs. Dick or Patricia Richardson,
Dept. of Zoology, Univ. of Texas, Austin TX 78712, phone 512-471-4128,
or e-mail, d.richardson@mail.utexas.edu.

Submitted by:
David B. Sullivan, Public Relations Director
Wisconsin Bison Producers Association
Telephone (608) -723-6213
email: Buffalob@mhtc.net
Mailing address: Buffalo Falls Ranch, LLC
7744 Irish Hollow Road
Potosi, Wi 53820

RECYCLING ORGANIC WASTE FOR AGRICULTURE

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • dung beetles, alteredstates, 05/14/1999
    • Re: dung beetles, Larry London, 05/15/1999
    • [permaculture] Re: dung beetles, Larry London, 05/15/1999