permaculture - Re: treated wood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lee Flier" <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Re: treated wood
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 13:54:04 -0400

Joann wrote:

>Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on substitutes for treated
>wood. We are making an arbor for grapes and kiwi and are looking for
>something sturdy that will lasat for a number of years. Thanks.

Well, cedar or locust wood will last a long time without being treated.
Personally, I'm using bamboo for my arbors. I can't vouch for how long they
will last because I just built them, but from what I understand if the
bamboo doesn't come into direct contact with the ground and you use hemp
twine to hold it together it should last a long time. You can knock out the
membrane in the bamboo joints easily with a screwdriver or chisel, and use
metal anchor posts stuck in the bottom of the bamboo to actually stake it in
the ground.

--Lee

Lee A. Flier
lflier@mindspring.com