permaculture - Perennial Vegetable Seed Company Catalog now online (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Perennial Vegetable Seed Company Catalog now online (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 20:50:58 -0500 (EST)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@metalab.unc.edu llondon@bellsouth.net

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 19:00:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Rob Fetter <trf@student.umass.edu>
To: sanet-mg@shasta.ces.ncsu.edu, NEFOOD-L@SARDONYX.TUFTS.EDU,
Cc: Eric Toensmeier <emtF90@hampshire.edu>,
Gita A Mann <gita@student.umass.edu>
Subject: Perennial Vegetable Seed Company Catalog now online

If you want to be happy for a year, plant a garden.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, plant perennial vegetables...

The 1999 Perennial Vegetable Seed Company catalog is now available
on-line at

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~trf/pvsc99.html

About PVSC: Our goal is to introduce the public to a diversity of
perennial vegetables. These plants have mostly been neglected as food
plants, because they do not fit well into annual cropping systems.
However, many are low-maintenance, virtually trouble-free crops which
provide food year after year!

There are perennial vegetables for all occasions, from formal border and
herb gardens, to the shade of fruit and nut trees, to naturalizing in your
backyard prairie, forest, or wetland. A great diversity of perennial
vegetable species exist. Some have been cultivated for centuries, some are
wild, and some are only now being developed as crops. As PVSC grows, we
will offer more and more species, many of which are not commercially
available in North America. This year we are growing out improved
Groundnut (Apios americana), as well as Sea Beet (Beta vulgaris maritima),
the perennial ancestor of beets and chard, Turkish Rocket (Bunias
orientalis), a tasty perennial mustard relative, and more. We are hot on
the trail of perennial Brassica species, including perennial broccolis and
kales, and their wild ancestor, perennial Wild Cabbage (Brassica
oleracea).

On the new website you can also find out about a special offer on _Edible
Forest Gardens_, a new, comprehensive guide to perennial vegetables and
perennial polyculture systems.

*****************
T. Robert Fetter
Research Assistant