permaculture - Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gardenbetty@earthlink.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:10:11 -0500

Hi Frank,

mason bees are extremely gentle; you can even hold them in your hand. When
they do sting it is less severe than, say, a honeybee or yellow jacket
(yikes!)

They often nest in holes or crevices they find on your house, so I wouldn't
worry about proximity. You could even mount their homes on the east or south
side of your house itself. They need protection from wind and water and like a
sunny spot that won't get hotter than 90 degrees F. Just make sure they are
very close to your trees.

One note: mason bees don't live in hives. They are solitary bees and their
homes (blocks) are more like condo associations than hives!:)

Happy Equinox and Passover!

dawn
aka gardenbetty

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind... —Dakota proverb