permaculture - Re: Tires

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • To: tgray@california.com, owner-permaculture@envirolink.org, fronsk@cats.ucsc.edu, permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: Re: Tires
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:24:33 EDT

Cadmium is highly toxic and frankly no one has tested to see how it leaches
out in context of potato towers, etc. There just isn't any good reason to
take the risk. Generally, any increase to the pollution load our bodies
receive does not merely add consequence, it multiplies. Even if we are
merely dealing with additive phenomena, that little bit, based on Ah, what
the hell, everything is polluted anyway> can carry you over a threshold to
serious consequences. There just isn't any pressing reason to increase our
exposure in the case of Bill's silly tire constructions.

No this is from a guy who used to use tires to burn brush piles. think of
the cadmium in the ash! Fortunately, I never cleared garden land that way,
but still...

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Copyright, 1998, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships. YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html
Elfin Permaculture programs are listed at the Eastern Permaculture Teachers
assn home page: http://home.ptd.net/~artrod/epta/eptahmp.html

  • Tires, Kevin Snorf, 04/09/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Tires, Permacltur, 04/10/1999