permaculture - Re: Industrialism?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Barry Carter <bcarter@igc.apc.org>
  • To: Unleesh@aol.com, Permacltur@aol.com, fronsk@cats.ucsc.edu, owner-permaculture@envirolink.org, permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: Re: Industrialism?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 12:03:40 -0700

Dear Unleesh,

At 09:18 PM 4/10/99 EDT, Unleesh@aol.com wrote:

>But what sorts of dialogue exist in the community regarding industrial
>production of material goods? It is very, very hard for me to imagine an
>ecologically sustainable industrialism, and this comes out of no inherent
>luddite temperament, simply an increasing awareness of what is involved in
>the process of industrialism itself.
>
>For example, can someone create for me a model of "sustainable mining"?? On
>any scale required by industrialism? The phrase itself sounds oxymoronic! I
>think of Fukuoka, and I try to imagine the Fukuoka of mining, and it is very
>difficult .... "just let nature do the mining for you ... just leave the
>system alone and the metals will grow on their own" ... it is true for
>example that Native Americans mined some copper in Canada, but on a very
>small-scale basis, certainly not reaching the Minimum Inputs required on an
>industrial scale ... and without mining, the whole industrial system pretty
>much comes to a halt ... so has anyone thought about these questions? It
>seems as if we've built an entire culture on an infrastructure that is
itself
>toxic and requires a constant input and output of toxicity ...

Sustainable mining might be possible using technology which is currently
available. The first requirement would be to get rid of energy mining, that
is coal, oil and natural gas. A company called Blacklight Power has the
most viable current technology in this regard. They can generate energy by
dropping hydrogen to a lower energy state. This produces a useful product
and a great deal of energy. Two utilities that have invested in BlackLight
Power are PacifiCorp of Oregon and Atlantic Electric in New Jersey. You can
read more about Blacklight Power on their web page at:

http://blacklightpower.com/index.html

Another thing which promises to change mining is the discovery of the ORMUS
elements by David Hudson. These elements include the precious metal
transition elements and, in the ORMUS form, these elements are thousands of
times more common than in their metallic forms. They are particularly
abundant in ocean water from which they can be extracted and converted to
their metallic form. What differentiates the ORMUS form of the precious
metals from their metallic form is that the ORMUS form has its electrons
Cooper paired so that they are not available as valence electrons.

More on ORMUS theory can be found at:

http://www.triax.com/bmnfa/science/ORMUS/whatisit.htm

We believe that because of this the positive shielding potiential of the
electrons is disabled and this allows one to change the nucleus using low
energy technology. In other words, if you have mercury you can convert it
to the ORMUS mercury state and in this state you can convert it to gold
simply by heating it in a kiln. This is transmutation. I believe that even
lower energy transmutations are possible. Louis Kervan discussed evidence
of transmutation at biological temperatures.

Though precious metals mining and energy mining are not all of mining,
industrial metals mining could be greatly reduced by the use of the two
technologies above. The Blacklight Power technlology would allow for power
generation on site, this would greatly reduce our use of copper for
electrical distribution. An automobile powered by a Blacklight Power cell
or a battery made using their technology would greatly reduce the weight of
the power plant in the automobile. This would mean that there would be a
corresponding reduction in the weight of metal in the rest of the car. I
would bet that combined these two reductions would allow us to make
automobiles using only three quarters to half of the metals that we now use
in them.

Of course the only way we will ever get to a permaculture state is by
getting a handle on our exponential population growth. Someone once
estimated that if we keep up this population growth rate for several
thousand years the body heat alone will melt the surface of the Earth. This
could never happen due to other limiting factors related to growth but it
is clear that there are some ultimate limits of population growth.

--
With kindest regards,

Barry Carter
<bcarter@igc.apc.org>