permaculture - [permaculture] Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: OT: Does anyone know of a source of orchard mason bees?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 19:30:28 -0500

    Bees produce honey. European varieties of the honeybee, Apis mellifera produce excess amounts of honey with regard to their future need. They are also usually not as agressive as most other bee species.

    Orchard mason bees probably build small wax cells and store their honey comparmentalized, like Grecian urns. It would be hard to harvest and there would not be an excessive amount.

    Pollination can not be underestimated in its effect on fruit production for a whole host of plants. I recall how the carpenter bees living in the old wood garage behind my house would pollinate my huge luffa framework. I gave away luffa sponges for almost a decade.

Happy Trails, to you...
Kevin Topek