permaculture - Ants in the compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "cath Gorrie" <c.gorrie@unsw.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Ants in the compost
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:7:28

I inadvertantly threw the beginnings of a red ant colony into my compost
pile, before covering it and leaving it for a few weeks.
Now I have a thriving growing colony. I'm not quite sure how to deal with
this, on the one hand I guess they will breakdown all
organic material, on the other hand I don't need an ant hill for a compost
pile. Possibly it just needs to be hotter (the compost isn't yet)
and the problem will go away, or maybe there's some natural ant deterrant
I can use that won't affect the compost material.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cathy Gorrie
Katoomba, NSW