permaculture - Re: A New Perspective on Agriculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Groff <sgroff@epix.net>
  • To: valerie frances <vfrances@foe.org>
  • Cc: sanet-mg-digest@ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: A New Perspective on Agriculture
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:52:22 -0500

valerie frances wrote:

> "When conditions are ripe for it, these suburban lots could quickly be
> developed into mini-farms, either as home-based businesses or as a
> source of much good food for the family living there. That sort of
> flexibility, coupled with broad-based ownership of prime agricultural
> land in the form of suburban lots, may turn out to be a very lucky and
> important break at a moment when we need one badly."

Anyone interested in seeing this type of agriculture first hand should go to
Japan. I was there a year ago and was amazed at the intensity of food
producing plots. Not a single square foot is wasted! Even in the downtown
areas in of Tokyo there were plots as small as 4x5 ft that had veggies
growing in
them. There is no grass for yards *anywhere* near the population centers. It
is considered a waste of resourses not to grow food in open spaces. Even at
major interchanges on the highways they have planted the whole area in
vegetables.

Steve Groff.
--
"New Generation Cropping Systems": the cutting edge of sustainable agriculture
http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".