permaculture - Re: Difference, Community, and Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lee Flier" <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: Re: Difference, Community, and Sustainability
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:09:42 -0500

>A) That has already happened, witness history. (also called missionaries)

Yep. That's a no-no. But again, I don't consider that the majority of
Christians are zealots. Let those who aren't zealots but would like to live
in a Christian community do so. The zealots we will have to deal with
differently.

>B) Would they tolerate internal difference? Do they just ship their gays,
>their punks, their whatevers to other "registered communities"? Or do they
>more likely try to repress them?

That's not really our business. If we wish to be left alone to run our own
"tribes" as we see fit, we have no business condemning someone else's
practices, however much we may not like them. The only practice we can
condemn is if, as you say re: missionaries, they try to interfere with our
own communities.

If someone is gay and feels out of place in a Christian community, that
person should of course be free to leave the community and find either a gay
community or one that has no problem with gays. In a "mosaic of
subcultures" one would be aware of the existence of other cultures and
therefore it would be tough to "repress" somebody to the extent that they
couldn't get out of their situation.

--Lee

Lee A. Flier
lflier@mindspring.com