permaculture - Re: Keyline Design Workshop

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Australia Felix" <pcorgbgo@bendigo.net.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Keyline Design Workshop
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:11:02 +1100

Hello Angela Medeiros,

We use software called MapInfo Professional (see www.mapinfo.com ) for all
of our Permaculture plans. Using scanned aerial photographs and
topographical plans (or proper survey plans by our surveyor - imported into
Mapinfo as AutoCad .dxf files or as other file types through MapInfo's
universal translator) which produces images such as that attached (part of
an Australia Felix plan of a 700 acre mixed sheep and cropping farm in
western Victoria, Australia). The only problem with MapInfo is the expense,
although educational discounts are available. The expense thing can be
overcome however by purchase of the cheaper MapInfo Desktop, which we found
lacking for our purposes - you may find it useful however. MapInfo is
available for Macintosh as well

Other similar software includes: ArcInfo, Pinpoint, ArcView and an
assortment of others. We chose Mapinfo because of its simplicity and its
ease of use with MS Office software (insertion of MS Excel/Access tables
etc. and embeding of maps into MS Word documents). In addition once you have
the property geographically registered you can measure paddock sizes, tree
lines etc. with the click of the mouse, which makes developing planning
inventories and budgets quite easy.

Another piece of software of seen on the web which I would love to try is
called World Construction Set (perfect for those with a permaculture god
complex !!). A demo copy is not available although when I questioned them
about our invisaged application of it, the makers thought it wouldn't be a
problem. A preview is available on www.questar.com (from memory only !).
Some other sites have reviews on it as well which are worth checking out.

I hope that this helps,

Yours and Growing,

Darren J. Doherty
www.australiafelix.com.au
Australia Felix LandPlanning Consultants

Project Planning, Management & Development Contractors for
Sustainable & Productive Land-Use