permaculture - Re: (FWD) New York Gardens - Giuliani strikes again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: (FWD) New York Gardens - Giuliani strikes again
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:01:57 +1200

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> Hello, everyone, please take a moment to read this important notice
> about our city, and we hope you will sign the petition to preserve
> these lovely oases.
> Thanks - New York gardeners
>
> With 14,000 empty, buildable lots in New York City and only 750
> community gardens, Mayor Giuliani plans to auction off over 120 thriving
> community gardens in May. This is the second auction in which gardens have
> been targeted.
>
> These gardens, many of them decades old, were established with the
> city's blessing on abandoned and vacant lots that had often been centers
> of drug and crime activity. New York City's gardens are known across the
> country. They are studied in our nation's schools. Their disappearance
> would mark not only a tragedy for the city, but would set a dangerous
> precedent for other cities across the country whose garden programs are
> struggling to survive.
>
> The Mayor thinks only a small minority care about the gardens. If he
> were made aware of the large numbers of people, not only in New York but
> across the nation, who care about this issue, he will be forced to
> reconsider his policies.
>
> Please take a moment to read this petition. Sign at the bottom if you
> agree and forward the petition to all the people you know who would support
> it.
>
> If you are the 50th, 100th, 150th...(etc) signature, please also e-mail
> the petition to: NYCgardens@cobite.com For more information about
> New York City community gardens and the efforts to save them, visit
> http://www.nycgardens.org/
>
> PETITION IN SUPPORT OF NYC'S GARDENS
>
> Dear Mayor Giuliani,
>
> Community gardens represent one of the best and most all around positive
> developments in New York City. They are founded by working New Yorkers,
> thrive on principles of a true democracy, provide solace, learning, and
> pleasure to young and old, offer bridges across cultures and ethnic
> groups, offer space for a multitude of cultural activities, and turn
> neighborhoods and indeed the city as a whole into a more vibrant and
> healthy environment.
>
> New York's gardens have set a national example of innovative and
> successful public policy and urban renewal. They are studied and admired
> across the country. Their preservation represents a special opportunity
> to set a critical environmental benchmark in this issue and to evidence
> foresight for the cities of the future.
>
> We hereby ask that you withdraw the gardens from the auction list.

> [...]

35/ 36. Russ Grayson/ Fiona Campbell,
Australian City Farms and Community Gardens Network, Sydney, Australia

> Don't forget that in order to 'sign' this petition, you need to cut and
> paste the entire message into a new e-mail, add your name and send the
> message.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: pacedge@magna.com.au

PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell
PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA

Phone 02-9588 6931 (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Email: pacedge@magna.com.au

Permaculture education, publishing, design.
NSW contact, Australian City Farms and Community Gardens Network.
APACE Kastom Garden Program, (village agriculture), South Pacific.
PaD (Permaculture and Development) Project .