permaculture - Re: URBAN Pc - Time to put it together

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FionaNyx@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: URBAN Pc - Time to put it together
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 00:26:58 EST

Dear John,

I am not very mobile right now. I live in suburban Phila and work fulltime as
a technical writer. Lately I've been putting a lot of effort into the food
co-op here in my hometown (Media), we are having a silent auction to benefit
the co-op next Saturday.

My take on permaculture in an urban context is that too often PC sounds like
it is only an option for those fortunate enough to own large tracts of land,
but this need not be true. I am interested in developing systems and tools
for PC oriented agriculture in an urban setting which is accessible to all.
This means to me low cost, low tech and low maintenance as much as possible.
It also means systems that do not rely on its practitioners all being people
who settle into a property and can stay put. Many people feel a greenhouse or
even a coldframe is too costly or don't have the right to install permanent
fixtures where they live, yet once the risk of freezing is over, they can
jumpstart seeds for the season using the technique I developed with storm
windows over flats of seedlings on a blacktop driveway, which provides bottom
heat. Just an example.

~~Sherry

  • Re: URBAN Pc - Time to put it together, FionaNyx, 02/03/1999