permaculture - Strawbale, liquid fertilizers, heat sources, etc...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: CK Valois/B Brummitt <lilacmn@eot.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Strawbale, liquid fertilizers, heat sources, etc...
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:34:22 -0600 (CST)

Jim Sealy, Miekal And, Frank's farm, et al...

I'll try my best to address each of your questions...

There are photographs of Cheryl's sb studio's construction progression at
the URL at the bottom of our signature block.

For liquid fertilizer try soaking some kelp meal and alfalfa meal and then
smash it all up in a blender/mixer. I use this in our pit greenhouse with
good results.

I believe solar hydronics is the wave of the future. Beneath the floor heat
supplied by a batch solar fluid heater, pumped with a low voltage pump
directly powered by the sun via a small pv panel...the sun shines, the fluid
heats, the fluid is pumped. The sun doesn't shine, the fluid doesn't heat,
the fluid isn't pumped. There could be a back up source of heat (eg.,
woodstove, etc.) The mass should take you through the down times,
though...a lot depends on geographic location, building site, efficiency of
building, etc...Our house is underground and in this climate I much prefer
it to any above ground dwelling...define underground...sod roof, southern
exposure, bermed up and over on east and west, small windows high on the
wall on the north to balance light/airflow.

Miekal, you may remember our place from a video you saw years ago.
Remember?

Is this the right place to post this?

Bruce

Cheryl Valois and Bruce Brummitt