permaculture - Re: self-closing doors for chicken coops?/jugalone list?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <JRHALL@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: permaculture@envirolink.org, permaculture@listserv.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: self-closing doors for chicken coops?/jugalone list?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:38:28 -0600

Just wanted to update folks that this idea is working pretty well. I cut a
hole in an acryllic sheet in the window, and put two levels of "steps" on
either side. I cut a groove in 2x2s attached to the window, and slide a door
through pulleys to the roost. Took hours and hours, stopping and mentally
testing each problem, but it was good.

I did lose one red star last week, several days after the first big cold
snap, I'm not sure if she died from being locked out on a cold night (2 long
bricks equals 6 chickens), or other causes. The others seem to be adapting
well. They do complain, asking for a woodstove and such, to no avail.

Could anyone refer me to the most extensive list of black walnut-tolerant
species that they know of? There are some in front and a row directly behind
the chicken coop, so minimum distances recommended from the dripline would be
very helpful.

Thanks!
-Jeff Hall, Ames Iowa (tall grass prairie, turtle island)