permaculture - flowering quince suppression/removal?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: flowering quince suppression/removal?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:34:17 -0800

Aloha,

Anyone have successful strategies for suppressing/removing flowering
quince? The stuff is rooted deep, deep in my housemates' back yard,
running out in various directions, etc. They'd like to put in a few
fruit trees but the quince is "in the way" at present. They're fairly
committed to not using poison, but after digging by hand for half a day
and finding out just how deep and spread out it is they're talking
backhoe...I'm hoping there's some less drastic options?

John Schinnerer