permaculture - ACTION ALERT - your assistance requested to save community permaculture garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ACTION ALERT - your assistance requested to save community permaculture garden
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:46:12 +1200

Message forwarded...

Hi All,

some not so happy news, we have been asked to vacate the UNSW
Permaculture Garden property by the 8/12/98, due to an agreement that
was made in 1993 that gave 5-10 use of the property to the P'c group.
The
uni has opted for the 5 year option, and wants to build student housing
on
the existing site. Some may say, lets just find another place to play,
but the recent approval of funding to create an Eco Living project which

incorporates the garden and an adjacent house makes the issue a bit
morehectic.

We have therefore opted for a full scale campaign to save the garden and

the Eco Living Project from the hands of the university and have raised
much support from the university/ general community. It is time for you
now to put your pens to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and show your
concern for the uni's decision. Of course, we wish for this to be done
with heart and soul not with raging bull/ cow minds.

If you feel like joining us (the members of the UNSW p'c garden) in the
campaign against the uni's decision you can do one (or more) of a few
things -

People could continue collecting letters of support, petitions etc.
There are copies of 3 standard letters in the Education shed (at the P'c

garden)- for community, for staff and for neighbours. People can also
draft their ownletters explaining what the garden and project means
them.

Letters are to be addressed to Professor John Niland, Vice-Chancellor,
UNSW, Sydney, Australia 2052 (email: j.niland@unsw.edu.au) and Crystal
Condous, Registrar, UNSW, Sydney, 2052 Australia (email:
c.condous@unsw.edu.au).

3. Support letters can be either (a) posted directly or (c) emailed
directly.

Other options have been suggested for the ways we can approach the
situation, they are yet to be discussed further. If anyone has further
suggestions, or wish to know more aBOUT THE SITUATION come along to the
meeting, or call Leith UNSW Environmental Project Manager on
61 2 9385 1735.

Thanks everyone for your support in the seemingly constant struggle as
activists for social change and comunity awareness. We have a fight on
our hands but there are good feelings about the outcomes.

From Adam Chapman on behalf of the UNSW
Permaculture crew.
--
PACIFIC EDGE PERMACULTURE
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell

Phone 02-9588 6931 (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Email: pacedge@magna.com.au

Permaculture education, publishing, design.
NSW contact, Australian City Farms and Community Gardens Network.
APACE Kastom Garden Program, (village agriculture), South Pacific.
PaD (Permaculture and Development) Project .

  • ACTION ALERT - your assistance requested to save community permaculture garden, Fiona Campbell + Russ Grayson, 11/08/1998