permaculture - Re: Dung, methamphetamines and what-chu-ma-paradigms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul and Sandra" <crows@tkc.att.ne.jp>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dung, methamphetamines and what-chu-ma-paradigms
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 17:03:50 +0900

Regarding the Methamphetamine metaphor for industrialization (Please do
excuse me, I tried to edit brutally which does horrible things to honorifics
and formal politeness)

Unitary metaphors suck if you need a good map. Every region has a specific
history and a detailed current situation. Industrialization hasn't been
uniform. Pre-industrial history is full of brutal and arbitrary authority.
The social order of first peoples has been nearly eradicated. (Ironically)
the dynamic social environment of industrial societies is what birthed
permaculture in the first place. Indeed, we often enjoy our view, forgeting
why we can now see so far. The true context has to be distorted to fit
unitary metaphors. We need ground truthed maps.

It is easy to talk about the virtues of cholera in an abstract way. It is
easy to extoll the ecological wisdom of hepatitis if it isn't knawing at
your liver. It is easy to forget the shadow of chaos living here is the
polychrome glow of cyberspace. People all over the world are choosing to
participate in industrialization, and if we think their reasons are not
valid, then we will need more then metaphors to change their mind. If we
can't set a nice table no one is going to show up to eat. The ones that
show up because they got hooked by glowing metaphors will be particularly
pissed. Death by infection sucks.

DH's designer with shovel in hand metaphor applies to this situation also.
Permaculture designers are needed in all fields, particularly those where
they are conspicuously absent. (finances and moderately scaled processing of
metal, glass, textiles, plastics, wood and paper). We can't break this
thing down with big blunt words. It is going to take concise and effective
application.

I have met many intelligent people who are curious about permaculture. They
often have a wide range of knowlege about the details of industrial activity
that I lack. They need a viceral appreciation for basic life patterns, and
a disciplined ethic do do something about it. They have the technical
knowlege to help 'permaculturalize' basic industries. The details of
transitional technologies and economies need to be developed and propagated.
this seems like the only alternative to a very ugly future of violent power
shuffles. (the giant does not fall softly - unless we can start the
decomposition while he is still standing).

Am I 'selling out' yet... I have spent a lot of time thinking about 'ways of
thinking'. As a teacher of children I have found that 'doing' shapes
thinking more then 'talking' does. I do not see 'de-industrializing' as a
viable design. Our new way of thinking will grow as we make new ways of
doing that work. Those who can take this step on faith, though playing an
important role, have always been in the smallest of minorities. Economic
and social viability is an anceint test that has preceded industry. The
design must work - now.

Paul Cereghino - crows@tkc.att.ne.jp - Tokyo

PS: Japan, a extremely industrialized nation is looking at 125 million
person population, shrinking to 60 million people in 50 years! The result
of fewer offspring per mated pair, and older mothers (if you look at
population equations, mortality is only part of the picture). I imagine
this will produce its own design challanges. China on the other hand, whose
1family 1child policy failed years ago, is on a freight train to hell.
There isn't even an accurate census in place, and the Chinese government
faces social chaos if it wavers from its current path of brutal resource
exploitation.

  • Re: Dung, methamphetamines and what-chu-ma-paradigms, Paul and Sandra, 11/06/1998