permaculture - Re: Semantics and Cooperation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Yount <yount@csf.Colorado.EDU>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Semantics and Cooperation
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 09:58:30 -0700

Jack,

It strikes me, as you suggest, that cooperation often gets the short
straw. What compels you to believe that individualism is essential?
Is our concept of self not to some degree fiction? Does everyone
here feel that permaculture needs must be a narrow path, army or
otherwise?

Thanks,

Michael
yount@csf.colorado.edu

:}
:}Here's another 'fundamental dichotomy': balancing the highly self-empowered
:}individualism essential for acting toward health within today's social
:}structures (not a supported activity) with the highly
:}synergistically-empowered co-action that creating actual health will
:}require. . . an army of highly individualistic cohorts in healing and
:}health. Can individualists offer mutual support toward mutual goals? Yes.
:}WILL they? So often our discussions sound like a husband and wife driving
:}250 miles to the nearest polling place, one to vote straight-ticket
:}Democrat and the other straight-ticket Republican, both hoping for a
:}healthy, happy society. Might as well stay home, spend the cash on partying
:}before the crash.
:}
:}Both. . .
:}
:}Jack

  • Both? Both!, Jack Rowe, 11/03/1998
    • Re: Semantics and Cooperation, Michael Yount, 11/03/1998