permaculture - RE: Problems (was Organic...)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Problems (was Organic...)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:50:46 -0800

Aloha,

sense to solve
>the problem.

Permaculture is not, to me, about solving problems. It is about
observing, understanding, working with and designing systems, which
cannot be done by "problem-solving." But we do live a culture that is
obsessed with problem-solving - this perhaps needs to change. For
example, the "green revolution" was "the solution" to "the problem" of
world hunger...NOT! Action based on recognizing "problems" and then
reacting to them with "solutions" appears to me to be a pathological
habit we might do well to unlearn - perhaps by learning the living of
designing?

John Schinnerer