permaculture - Re: self-closing doors for chicken coops?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <JRHALL@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: permaculture@envirolink.org, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: self-closing doors for chicken coops?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:01:43 -0500

Thanks for all your answers! Right now I have 23 5 month old pullets (one is
a rooster in drag) on pasture, in arched cattle panel tracters. The place is
off the grid, which is fine, with alternative power not feasable till next
year.
I like the idea of using their weight to pull up a door. Perhaps when I have
power, I'll hook a switch to the door and electrify a metal plank/tunnel!

Another question--has anyone in a winter climate tried the "fruit tree
directly north of a building" trick? What varieties does this help keep their
blossoms past the last frost? Iowa is an apple and small fruit kind of place
right now, due to its extreme climatic variability.

Lastly, I was just at a strawbale greenhouse workshop by Roald Gundersen of
La Crosse, Wisc., and I'd recommend his work, its an important step towards
economic popularization of permaculture-type agriculture in temperate
climates--
http://www.mwt.net/~roald/index.html

Thanks again, Jeff