permaculture - Re: Stormwater retention/reuse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stormwater retention/reuse
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:34:29 EDT

Hi ,

Some interesting posts on this subject. Thanks to all for their contributions.

I'm in process of putting on an addition to an old farmhouse that has been
partially updated but the job was not finished so it has no plumbing, heating
etc.

So I'm considering various options like town water, a well, rainwater
collection, and possibly gravity fed system from a spring.

Farmhouse already has new metal roof as will the addition.

I'm wondering ifit's feasible and cost effective to use ram pump to bring
spring water to an cistern that is above house, and then use gravity to bring
it to house?

I'm concerned about pressure inside house, filtering systems, type of storage
tank, height above ground needed etc. I would also like to be able to tie it
into the rain water system if needed. And also to tie those systems into an
efficient and environmentally friendly grey water system that leads into a
filter lagoon that leads into garden /orchard areas for irrigation.

I know friends who lived in Bermuda where rain water collection systems are
quite common. They seem to have gotten along with their systems just fine.

I'd appreciate comments from the list...especially from those who may be
utilizing just such a system. Thanks. Look forward with interest to your
comments. Frank