permaculture - Re: Brown Nose worms for vermicompost->INORA

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: compost@listproc.wsu.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Brown Nose worms for vermicompost->INORA
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:22:06 +0000

> The worms they use are African red worms and common red worms.
> After equilibrium is established, 95% of the population settles out
> as African red worms and 5% red worms; yet they keep using the red
> worms because they occupy an important ecological niche in the worm
> bed. It takes about 3 months for the worms to work over the first
> bed, but only half this time in following cycles due to worm
> population buildup.
>
> A pamphlet from INORA says they use the following worms:
>
> Eisenia foetida
> Perionyx excavatus
> Eudrilus euginae
>
> [Which species is African Red Worms.... Perionyx or Eudrilus?]

Mary Appelhof's 1997 Revised Edition of "Worms Eat My Garbage"
contains the following worms notes:

Perionyx excavatus
Perionyx excavatus is suitable for vermicomposting in warm
climates. Called the Indian blue worm in some regions, it is a
tropical species which reproduces well in culture and tolerates
handling....

Eudrilus eugeniae
Another restless worm used for vermicomposting, Eudrilus eugeniae,
is large and commonly known as the African nightcrawler. As its
common name suggests, this species has a tropical origin..... E.
eugeniae is therefore limited to warm climates or heated buildings.

Fascinating, these worms!

Steve Diver

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu