permaculture - Re: genetic tinkering info...(kinda long)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Avalon Bruce <avalonb@nwol.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: genetic tinkering info...(kinda long)
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 07:38:28 -0700

re: John Schinnerer's good words, a few of my own

a) there ARE pigs out there with big, long shiney teeth and a taste for
human flesh -- we call them javalina's here in far west texas (and
northern mexico) -- when you run into one in the middle of the night on
a ranch road, with your new Toyota pick 'em up truck, they'll take out
at least one headlite and your radiator

b) thanks to better living through chemistry, we ALREADY ARE playing
havoc w/ the human genome -- my daughter, only offspring after being
told for l7 years that _I_ was sterile as a brick, was born without full
complement of her father's genetic material -- paternal deletion on l3th
chromosome, resulting in Prader-Willi Syndrome -- compromised
hypothalamuis/pituitary glands and thus affects EVERY 'system' in her
body,inlcuding but not restricted to: horrible temper
fits/rages/uncontrollable, no impulse control, little reasoning/judgment
and physical problems. at almost l6 years, she functions like a six
year old

talk about BAD KARMA, for both us!

avalon

The Earth is not given to us by our parents.
It is loaned to us by our children.