permaculture - Fw: SafeFoodForum upcoming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Guy Clark" <guyclark@socket.net>
  • To: "Permaculture Listserve" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, "Deni Durham" <acfp@aol.com>, "Eric Feutz" <efeutz@mail.coin.missouri.edu>, "Leanne" <SunOrganic@aol.com>, "Leemer Cernohlavek" <leemer@socketis.net>, "Margot McMillen" <mcmillm@JAYNET.WCMO.EDU>
  • Subject: Fw: SafeFoodForum upcoming
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:06:21 -0500

Namaste',
Guy Clark
Fertile Crescent Farm
310 Hartley Court
Columbia, MO 65201
573.449.GROW
guyclark@socket.net

----------
From: Jean Ponzi <jponzi@info.csd.org>
To: guyclark@sockets.net
Subject: SafeFoodForum upcoming
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 5:20 PM

Hello Guy -- Thoughts are gelling for the 9/8 forum Sustainable St. Louis
and I are pulling together. Please consider participating and/or forward
to me ASAP your suggestions for other participants from MO Org Assn who you
feel could best address these issues. Hope you are well, cool, happy!
Best, Jean

Re: SafeFoodForum sponsored by Sustainable St. Louis
Tuesday, September 8, '98 -- 7-9 p.m. -- Missouri Botanical Garden
We have formulated flexible goals that should be timely as well as
attainable in a couple-hour session. We need to confirm panelists who can
best convey relevant information, in time for SSL to begin publicity on
8/24.
Goals: 1)Foster public discourse on several safe-food
issues,including:
-- awareness and support of local food producers;
-- genetically-modified foods
currently in wide distribution (e.g., soy foods, RBGH-treated dairy
products);
-- sustainably-raised vs. factory-produced meats and meat products.
2) Foster public discourse on genetic-engineering issues related to
sustainable and safe food production, such as
-- "Terminator" technology
-- patenting of genetic discoveries and resulting restrictions
3) Promote awareness of and participation in upcoming citizen
action initiatives, such as
-- follow-up to USDA proposals re: certification of organics
-- "World Food Day"
-- safe food issues expected to arise in MO Legislature in '98-'99 session.

A panel of 3-4 persons would be ideal. We would like each panelist to give
a 5-10 minute talk on the aspects of these (or other closely relevant)
issues they can best address; the remainder of the moderated forum will be
devoted to discussion and Q&A. Jean Ponzi of KDHX-St. Louis' "Earthworms"
will moderate; Dan Lehocky and Claire Schosser of Sustainable St. Louis
are, respectively, host and coordinator for this event.

Please reply by Thursday, 8/20, to Jean Ponzi, with your interest
in/proposed contributions to this forum, at the email address above, or by
phone or fax:
Day phone -- (314) 645-7752 (9:30 - 5:30 M-F)
Home phone -- (314) 645-6292
Fax -- (314) 645-1244

Thank you!

  • Fw: SafeFoodForum upcoming, Guy Clark, 08/19/1998